Part five of our whoopie pie series is the classic chocolate whoopie pie. This, in my opinion, is how a whoopie pie should be. It’s puffy, cakey and super delicious! This recipe came from the AARP Magazine.
Mom’s Whoopie Pies
Recipe by: Joanne Weir
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup cocoa, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups prepared marshmallow creme
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- With an electric mixer, beat the sugar, egg, butter, and vanilla until light and creamy. In another bowl, mix the cocoa, baking soda, salt, and flour; then blend with buttermilk into the creamed mixture.
- Drop batter by the heaping tablespoon onto greased baking sheets and bake 7 to 9 minutes. Remove from the baking sheets and cool on wire racks. Makes 30 mini-cakes.
- To make the filling, mix together all ingredients well.
- To assemble, sandwich a heaping tablespoon of cream between two cakes, dividing cream evenly between the 15 whoopie pies.
Check out the other Whoopie Pies in our series!