I love cake mixes. Whether I use them to make cakes, brownies or cookies, cake mixes make a quick, easy dessert. My favorite go-to cookbooks for a quick dessert are 101 Things to do with a Cake Mix and 101 More Things to do with a Cake Mix, both by Stephanie Ashcraft. Below are a few other things I do when making a cake using a cake mix.
- Use softened butter instead of oil. This makes the cake a bit richer.
- Use buttermilk instead of water. This makes the cake a little more dense.
- Adding a little vanilla extract makes it taste more homemade.
- Add another extract to change the flavor. My favorite is peppermint.
- Add citrus zest. My favorite is orange.
- Use fruit juice instead of water the give the cake more flavor. One of the most delicious cakes I’ve ever made was a devil’s food cake mix, made with cherry juice.
- Bake the cake according to the directions. Also make a small package of flavored gelatin or pudding (but do not let either set). Using a skewer or wooden spoon, poke holes in the cake and pour the gelatin or pudding over the cake.
- Combine one cake mix with one can or soda and bake according to directions. My favorite is to use a white cake mix and add one can root beer.