When my mom hears someone is having a baby, she always makes them these baby blankets. I have a boy and a girl, so I have enough of these baby blankets to keep an army warm. They are the perfect blanket because they are warm and big enough for a good, tight swaddle.
The best part is, these blankets are fairly simple to make compared to other blankets.
Directions to Make the Baby Blankets:
- Purchase two pieces of flannel, size 1 1/4 yard (make sure they go well together as one will be the front and the other, the back).
- Be sure to wash the fabric before you do anything else as flannel will shrink a bit.
- Put the two pieces of fabric together (back sides touching) and cut them into equal size squares (this is most easily done with a rotary cutter, but can also be done with scissors).
- Place a salad plate in each corner and cut to make a rounded corner.
- Use a serger sewing machine (or a very tight zigzag stitch) and stitch around all the edges.
Here is a picture of my daughter swaddled in one of her blankets.