Yesterday was my husband’s birthday. I offered to make him anything in the world for dinner. He chose this salad. It’s quick and easy, so I was okay with that. I often make it without the chicken and cheese as a side salad, but otherwise it is great as a main dish.
- 2 cups uncooked pene pasta (really any pasta will do)
- 2 roma tomatoes, cubed
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cubed
- 1 large chicken breast, cooked and cubed (I sprinkle italian seasoning on mine and grill it. But if you had left-over chicken that would work fine too. Just use 1 to 1 1/2 C cooked chicken)
- 1 C mozzarella cheese
- 2 T fresh, chopped parsley
- 1/2 bottle Italian salad dressing (Really any vinaigrette will work here. For his birthday, my husband chose Caesar Italian. My favorite is Sun-Dried Tomato).
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook Pasta according to directions on box. Drain and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine cooled chicken, tomato, cucumber, pasta and cheese.
- Top with dressing, parsley, salt and pepper
It’s that simple! This is a great summer dinner or for a picnic. It can be served at any temperature.