We love pasta, but spaghetti can get a bit old after a while. Here is a dish that is just as easy, but adds a little variety. Plus, there are some options to make this dish a little healthier!
- 1/2 lb ground beef or sausage
- 1 small or 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 t Italian seasoning
- 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 2T balsamic vinegar
- 1 (13.25 ounce) box penne pasta (cooked to al dente)
- 1/2 C ricotta cheese (optional)
- 1 1/2 t salt
- 1 t pepper
- 1 1/2 C Mozzarella or Italian Blend shredded cheese
- Brown meat, onion and garlic together in a large skillet sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce, balsamic vinegar, italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Add cooked and drained pasta
- Stir in ricotta cheese (this is optional. If you don’t like/ have ricotta, it’s still delicious without it. I just like the extra flavor and creaminess).
- Spread mixture in a 9×13 pan and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about half an hour. Cheese should be melted and slightly browned.
As promised, here are your healthy changes. This is how I make it for my family. Luckily, the changed still make for a DELICIOUS dinner my family thoroughly enjoys!
- Use ground turkey in place of the beef or sausage and be sure to drain it after it is browned.
- Instead of traditional pasta, use a whole wheat/whole grain pasta.
- Use part skim ricotta, or leave it out all together.
- Use part skim mozarella for the cheese, and take the amount down to 3/4 to 1 cup.
Enjoy your dinner!!