I love sloppy joes. I love the way they taste and how easy they are to make. In our house, we make them a little different, by giving them a healthy twist.
Start by browning in a skillet on medium heat:
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped into small pieces.
- 1 large carrot, grated (add this after the turkey and onion have cooked most the way)
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 8 ounces sweet potato baby food (don’t tell my husband I add this. Adding pureed baby food is my secret way to get my husband and kids to eat more vegetables. Mwa-ha-ha!!)
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 6-10 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 2t ground mustard
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1 1/2 T brown sugar
Mix this all together and let it simmer for about 15 minutes. It will thicken as it simmers.
Serve this on a whole-wheat bun. We serve it with sweet potato fries and a salad. And then we usually eat a cupcake when we’re done…